1.12.2011

The Winds of Change

My Change.

As I describe the transition upon me there are those of you out there that may think - oh that is all?
And that is okay. And frankly I wish I felt the same.

But that is not me.
I cling to what I know.
I am comfortable where I am.
I treasure my daily friendships.
And I know my stuff.
I know my numbers.
And I know my business.

Did you know aside from my passion for old furniture and unique treasures
I am a Finance Director?
I have financial responsibilities over four channels of a business.
I have been with the same company since college graduation.
I knew when I completed my degree where I wanted to work and I knew I was ready to start moving my way up the career ladder.
And that is exactly what I did.
Commissions Administrator to
Resource Analyst to
Financial Analyst to
Senior Financial Analyst to
Finance Manager to
Finance Director.

In total seventeen years and
six years in my current role.

This past year the winds of change have been whistling in my ear.
I worried.
I fretted.
I prayed.
And I started looking.

I received a call over the holidays for an 8 am interview the next day.
All night it snowed and snowed.
The alarm woke me in the early hours and I laid in bed thinking
"This Could Be The Beginning of a Big Change".
I took a deep breath and slid out of bed and when my feet hit the ground I was beginning the journey.

When I arrived I was greeted by two gentleman who put me at ease
and then
proceeded to question me for the next hour and half.
"What was your most recent failure?"
"What would your current manager tell us you need to work on?"
"What gets you out of bed in the morning?"
"What would you do if you were asked why is this product line not performing to expectation?"
They were polite and personnable and they were getting to know me.

The next week a call for another interview.
One step closer to Change.
It was three hours of interviews and talking.
Only two candidates left.
Both interviews complete.
Did they like me?
Am I ready
for
the
change?

One hour later I was sitting in the car with my hubby and my sweet girl and I get the phone call.
The ring sounded different to me.
I knew the next steps were happening quickly.
Faster than I thought.
Relief.
They liked me.
They picked me.
The job offer was made.

Anxiety.
Now I have a decision to make.

Scared.
What does this mean?

Emotional.
Can I close this chapter of my life?

Sadness.
How can I say goodbye?

Excitement.
A new adventure.

Overwhelmed.
Family is top priority, how can I juggle it all?

And I can go on and on.
And
then

acceptance.

Acceptance of the offer.
Acceptance of change.

To be continued. . . .

18 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Good for you,Melanie. I have a feeling that you are just going to NAIL this change! Your head is set on your shoulders as it should be and you aren't doing it out of anger at your current situation, or distrust of your present employer...you are doing it because something in you said...I need MORE..I need something DIFFERENT...I need to expand my wings and fly from the safety of this nest. You go girl...You are gonna be GREAT- That new company just got very lucky! - xxoo Diana

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Change is hard, but your commitment to excellence in all you do will surely bring you success in your new endeavor! Good luck to you!

Jennifer Interiors said...

Melanie, I am working on cutting some vinyl today and the quote I am cutting is from President Monson, it says, "Your Future is as bright as your faith". I know you will succeed at whatever you do. I can tell you are a person of great faith. Look at your projects. You see beauty where others are not able. You have a gift. Good luck Melanie. You have a wonderfully bright future!! :)

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Melanie, good for you! This has been so helpful to me, I really appreciate it. And what a writer you are!!! Abundant blessings as you enter this new journey in your life.

Laura's Rose Garden said...

Hello Melanie,
This one of my favorite quotes:

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
Henry David Thoreau
US Transcendentalist author (1817 - 1862)
Don't look back!!! Embrace the change. It will be wonderful!!
Hugs, Laura

michelle said...

I am so happy for you Melanie! I know that this is a big change for you and for anyone, you are not alone in this. Changing jobs is very scary and I am proud of you for taking this new step and beginning a new chapter in your life! I know that God will guide you with the help of your friends and family! :) You are an amazing woman and good things will come! I can't wait to here more about it.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Melanie! New jobs are always scary, but so many people remain unfulfilled because of the fear of change. (myself included) I really admire your ability to jump right in despite the unknowns. You're an inspiration :)

Dayna said...

Good luck Melanie. I feel for you as I know it must be a tough decision to make.

Jane said...

First, congratulations on the job offer. You obviously are very good at what you do.
Change can be scary but so exciting at the same time. Good luck with your new career!
Jane

Cassie Bustamante said...

yay, melanie! i didn't know what it was, but i was sure you could do it. :) all the best in your new endeavor!!!

Chelsea said...

YOU ROCK AT LIFE!

Allison said...

Congratulations, Melanie! Have fun with the next chapter of your life.

Kate Fredrickson said...

I'm so impressed, Kick BUM! Good for you!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Oh wow, Mel! I knew what it had to do with, but I had no idea you were moving on to bigger and better things! I'm not surprised they picked you. Who wouldn't?

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Of course they picked you - you are amazing! Congratulations! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Anonymous said...

Mel,

Our son is like you so I understand it very much. When he was little it was even small things. There is nothing wrong with that. I will sign off and say a prayer for you. You can do this! GOD bless and keep you and give you peace.

Shelley

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Sounds like many exciting things are happening for you! I'll bet you are feeling so many things! :) Congratulations! I do hope that you still have time for furniture refinishing because all your pieces are just to die for!

Kristin Randall said...

I love this - love your way of expressing the angst over a new situation and totally knowing how that feels. I'm with you - and SOOOOOO excited for this new chapter in your life! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails