1.05.2011

The West Buffet - Custom Refinish Before & After

Let's walk through our latest project. It is white and that is my favorite color of furniture!

Before

After

Is it just me? Or does everything look adoringly perfect in white?The original hardware pops against the white and becomes such a nice focal point.
The middle section of the dresser is bowed which provides some amazing dimension. The top drawer with the sweet keyhole has dividers for dinnerware. Behind the two little doors just beneath the drawer is a shelf for linens and tableware. Behind the hardware on the top drawer is a waffled wood design. It was hardly noticeable until the white paint and light distressing made all of the details sing along with the piece.

P.S. I wish this one were mine. Can you tell? These two little knobs are tiny. Why are miniature objects to charming? Take notice of a few of the party items on the table top. This cute thing was made by my sister-in-law Chelsea. She layered plates and glasses and threw in her signature flowers and some ribbons and bows. This can be used in so many different ways around the house.
It can be used as a jewelry caddy putting rings in the top cup and bracelets, brooches, and earrings on the two bottom tiers. It can be used to serve small pastries and mints for tea parties with friends. Or it could be used in a craft room to organize just about anything you are compiling on your desk! The plate tower is something that Mike and I made out of a candlestick lamp we were getting ready to donate. We looked at them. Looked at each other and said there has got to be something we can use these for and this is what we came up with. What is so nice about these towers is all of the extra space left on the table for other items.Another fun feature of this buffet is the tall legs and all of the extra space beneath for other items like baskets. Thanks to Scott and Lisa for allowing us to refinish this fun project for them.

I am excited for tomorrow as my brother and sister-in-law are having their second baby. This baby boy will carry on my maiden name. It was almost lost and gone forever. I cannot wait to meet and kiss and cuddle this little guy.

And a quick thank you to all of you good friends out there who left comments and emails regarding my post about change and how it is difficult for me. Wow. I was overcome with emotion as I read through your advice on transition and learning to embrace change. Thank you friends. I am overwhelmed by your generosity and compassion.

Featured at:

HOG

39 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is beautiful!!! i love the fluted details and the shape- gorgeous, melanie!

michelle said...

This is beautiful! I love the tall, petite legs and the character of the buffet itself, such detail. I love white and you are right, it makes everything look better. :) Your sister in laws layered plates are so pretty, what a fun idea and I love your plate tower! I am also adoring your new little banners in your photos, so fun with the spring colors!! :)

Karina said...

Hello, the furniture is great, i think in white is better. I like it very much. Do you paint with spay? because the finiture is perfect and sometimes it's impossible with a brush.
Complimenti.
Karina

AllisonK said...

absolutely WONDERFUL!!! I love the shape, love the color. EVERYTHING about it is perfect.

The plates are darling.

Lindsay @ Diary of a Crafty Lady said...

wow, Melanie, this is really beautiful!
I just posted about a bench that my dad and I made over the Christmas break - you should come check it out! We thought of you and your blog while distressing it:)
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!
Lindsay (Mike Connelly's daughter)
http://craftyladylindsay.blogspot.com/2011/01/bench-made-from-headboard-and-footboard.html

Allison said...

The buffet is beautiful in white and I do love the tall legs on it! Congratulations on becoming "Aunt Melanie" tomorrow. I know you're already an aunt but how fun to be an aunt again!

Holly Austin said...

Love the buffet, it looks awesome!!

Holly Do. said...

Love it, so pretty!

NanaDiana said...

Oh-it looks beautiful...absolutely beautiful. It does looks much better in white.

How wonderful to have a baby to carry on the family name. When my brother was born he was the first one born in 57 years to carry on that particular line of our family. My Father was 57 when he was born (53 when I was born) and they had given up hope of having children. A year later- my Uncle (who was also in his 50's- 1 year younger than my father) also had a son..so there were two boys to carry on the name. Life is just funny sometimes, isn't it?

Hugs to you , sweet lady...Diana

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Just so much prettier then where it started. I love it, as always! ... What a treat to have a new baby in the family!

Anonymous said...

Love anything white...this is great.

Jo
LazyonLoblolly

Chelsea said...

Ahhh, thanks for loving the stacked china! Makes me so happy!
xoxoxo

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

What a darling piece! It is so fresh and crisp in white! :)

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Melanie, I so agree, white is my color of choice. Your sideboard is just gorgeous, great job!
Thanks for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

The British Homemaker said...

my goodness, there is so much gorgeous stuff to look at here! now that dresser...i can see it would go perfectly in my hallway....!!! :)

Susanne said...

The buffet turned out nice. I love the pedestals, especially the tall one.
Susanne.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Melanie, what a great makeover! You're right, everything looks very cute and cottagey in white. Pastel colors look so great against white, and it's just a happy backdrop for colors. Loved all your cute things.

Happy Seasonal Sunday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Susan Freeman said...

I like it so much better in white!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

White paint does work wonders, Melanie. I like the style of this buffet, too.

Congrats on the new addition. I'm sure he will get plenty of kisses from Auntie Melanie. Smooching on babies is one of my favorite things to do. ;)

Thanks for linking to the party.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a gorgeous piece and your vignette is stunning. Love it. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Donnie said...

Everything came out so lovely. Great post.

Tanya said...

Everything about this is PERFECT! Happy White Wednesday - Tanya

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

I agree, everything does look better white! Happy WW!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, Melanie! Everything looks better dipped in white...to me any way. lol

Hugs,
Jami

The Tablescaper said...

Love the tea party serving pieces. So cute!

Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

High Street Cottage said...

Melanie, it is not just you...everything DOES look adoringly perfect in white! I've said this for years, mind you, but not many listened! Haha! Imagine, how nice it is for you to be my linky neighbor on Gina's blog? Happy Thursday, xoxo tami

Anonymous said...

The tall legs are great, and the white is gorgeous!!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

This is truly buffetlicious! Thanks so much for linking up to Beyond the Picket Fence.

SLR said...

yep, white makes so many things better! love the little bunting garland on the buffet too!!

Karie said...

You just amaze me. You pieces are so beautiful and I love the vignette. You do beautiful work. Thank you for sharing your comment on my blog giving me encouragement about my buffet I have been in the process of re-doing. I think it is finished and I will be showing it soon. Thanks again for your inspiration. Hugs, Karie

Anonymous said...

Both pieces are very nice. The stacked plates are very cute and it is true that anything painted white is just lovely. I like the height and hardware on the piece too.

Unknown said...

Wow! This is beautiful-what a transformation-I'm your newest follower from cheri's party! Stop by for a visit-Claire

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Gorgeous! Love the lines, style and color of your buffet!

Debbie~ said...

OMGoodness, it is so beautiful in 'WHITE', it stands out now!!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us, I love seeing a forgetable piece, turn into a totally unforgetable treasure! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

Kathy said...

Love, love, love!

chris said...

LOVE the white...but the staging is what caught my eye. I love the banner!

Wendys Hat said...

Great redo on the buffet! I also love your creative cake stand!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Pretty redo! Love the penant touch! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

Milla said...

Ooh very nice! And look at that interior styling. Good job!

-Milla
from http://designpardeux.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails