11.02.2010

Twelve Candles

I was at my friend Allison's a few weeks back and she offered me this . . . .
can you believe it! I think it is wonderful. I was informed by a reader (thank you Abby!) that these wooden pieces were used to form sugar cones when sugar was very expensive. The cones would traditionally be wrapped in paper and stored under lock and key in colonial times. Abby is a prop stylist and has used these before to display flowers, spices, herbs, flatware and candles. I cannot wait to swap out the displays as our seasons change as well.
Allison had initially tried to use this in her craft room (which is absolutely amazing) but because the holes are cone shaped they were not functional for her because the bottom is so narrow.
The first thing that popped in my mind were these candles we had left over from our wedding reception four years ago.
They fit just right and make the kitchen table quite cozy as we head into the winter months. With that said, I know that they will only be lit on very special occasions because having a three year old makes this a bit dang-er-ous!
Thank you again Allison.

Welcome Tuesday.


9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

That is a gorgeous piece and perfect with those candles in it. I wonder what it was used for orignally? It is unusual which is one of the reasons I love it! Hugs- Diana

abby jenkins said...

Those wooden pieces were used to mold sugar cones when sugar was very expensive. The cones would traditionally be wrapped in paper and stored under lock and key in colonial times.

I have used the wooden molds many times on Food Network shows (I'm a prop stylist) filled with either flowers, spices, herbs, flatware or like you candles! love them!!

What a nice gift

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

What a beautiful piece!!!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Hi there -- thanks for coming by! You are most definitely not too late -- I'll enter you in the giveaway.
See you soon
Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Cassie Bustamante said...

one word- jealous! that is so awesome. she must be some kind of friend to give that to you! :)

kathie said...

What a unique piece! It totally fits you, too. You will get so much use out of that :)

Allison said...

That is beautiful with your votives! I love that! How fun to have some history behind it. What a great addition to your house and a sweet friend you have.

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

Allison is NUTS!!

Leslie said...

Oh wow, lucky you! I seriously love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails