11.10.2010

The McCleary Dining Chairs - Custom Refinish Before & After

Before Although I posted these chairs with the McCleary Dining Table I am doing a post just on the chairs to talk about some of the fun elements that stand out on this chairs that are over 80 years old.
After
These chairs have been painted white and glazed for the antique look they have certainly acquired over the years. Notice the curvy details on the base where the new upholstered seat will sit. Not many straight lines on these chairs!
The base of the chair has the decorative wood bar placed between the legs with some delicate features which just add to the ornateness of its over all design. The honeycomb type cylinders on the leg are charming and match the same design on the table. I don't know about many of you out there but I have not run across this type of detail on a chair before. Typically you will see spindles and some nice wood work but not the layered design down the whole leg.
The backs of the chairs are not your typical vertical or horizontal lines. They almost have a keyhole type design which is unqiue and stunning.The set has four chairs and two captain chairs which provide for a nice visual variety. Next up I will reveal the matching buffet.

On a different note have you started decorating your home for the holidays? I picked up something yesterday that I want to use in conjunction with our fireplace. I presented an idea I have had to Mike to see if he thinks it will work. He just looked and me and crickets were chirping so I quickly said - "just think about it."

I linked to the parties on my sidebar.

23 comments:

LouLou said...

They're just as gorgeous as the table! They truly look amazing... Did you distress at all or just glaze? AMAZING!

michelle said...

Those chairs are just gorgeous! All the detail, you just don't see that anymore!

Oh my, I was laughing so hard! It sounds like my house. Every time I start a sentence with "I was thinking" my hubby just stares at me in silence and waits for me to just unload all my ideas from my brain! :) I usually have to say "Just think about it" as well to give him some time to let it sink in or forget about it and then I do it anyway! :)

Kacey said...

Oh, good - it's not just me. Danny is the same way! :)

I love what you've done with these pieces. They scrolls and awesome details - what an amazing set!!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the details on these chairs- gorgeous!!! emmy is sitting on me or i would say more..

The Midwest Cottage said...

some things are just meant to be white. They look so much better and the detail is awesome.

NanaDiana said...

Well, you already know I think they are fabulous and you did a wonderful job on them !!! What kind of covering goes on the seat, do you know?

Can't wait to see what you are trying to talk the old boy into doing for the mantle...hmmm...guess we will see how much your charm works, won't we? hugs-Diana

Chelsea said...

Those chairs are unmatched! Such incredible detail. Mike did a great job... AGAIN! :)

chris said...

Again, a wonderful job. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's husband doesn't always catch a vision right away. :)

Anonymous said...

Love these! They are unique and the detail is to die for!

Take care,
Lisa

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

So funny that you said "crickets were chirping," because that is what I always say when there is silence. We are kindred spirits :)

The chairs are amazing. 80 years old and still going strong, thanks to you guys! As always, great work, Mel.

Christa

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Gorgeous chairs! You really made the details pop.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Amazing chairs...you are very lucky to have them.(-:

Annie said...

I love the shape of the chairs, but I'm glad not to have to dust all the nooks and crannies!

Julie said...

Love the detailed carving on these chairs. I'm sure they will stay in the family a long long time. They look outstanding!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love furniture with all those details, so your chairs are lovely. I liked how they are painted to bring out the details too. I'm sure they will be stunning once you put the seats on them!

Jana said...

Love them! Go ahead and link them up over at my place, http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/11/glam-party-2.html

Pamela Michelle said...

Well done, love this!

Sandy said...

The chairs are stunning!!! I especially love the captains chair with its curvy arms. You did a fantastic job with the new finish.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love them, you did a great job!

VS said...

What a gorgeous makeover friend!! Thanks for sharing, I'm visiting from Common Ground & I love your blog!
Smiles,
Susie

Patti's Artful Design said...

Your chairs are amazing....I love every one of those curves! My husband avoids change like the plague...he always comes around after he (sort of) sees my vision:) Can't wait to see what you have planned!

Fishtail Cottage said...

Such pretty and ornate chairs - looking forward to coming back & seeing the reveal!!!
xxoo

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Wonderful job.... they look amazing, it's great how white paint can transform things, their just gorgeous!!! Happy White Wednesday!
Blessings~~ Daphne

Related Posts with Thumbnails