11.17.2010

Crib Repurposed Magnet Board - Custom Refinish Before & After

Before My good friend Allison had a very clever idea to take the two ends of an old crib she had and repurpose them into magnet boards. And this is what Mike came up with.
He cut off the bottom legs to make a nice clean frame for the sheet metal.
He then placed a board in front of the slats to glue the sheet metal against. This picture is the backside of the crib frame.
He then added some additional molding at the bottom to frame up the piece.

After
I think it turned about amazing and I hope Allison is happy. I just cannot think of a better frame to use than something that you don't really want to get rid of due to sentimental value and turn it into something like this.
The arched frame at the top really caps off the piece and gives it such a nice polished finish.
Allison mentioned adding knobs or hooks on the bottom portion for additional displaying options. Thank you Allison for having us be a part of such a great fun project! You have such a great eye and there are so many uses for your twin magnet boards!
I would like to quickly mention that the desk displayed with the magnet board is available to be purchased. However the chair is our little one's and is not up for grabs! It plays a very critical role in our home . . . she stands on it to make cookies at the kitchen counter.
The desk is
47" wide . 31" tall . 21" deep
and has a nice pull out drawer for a computer keyboard.
Have I yet mentioned that one of my favorite found treasures is this typewriter? I spotted it on KSL and it was clear down south but my brother-in-law agreed to pick it up for us and I cannot thank him enough. It is super light weight and the perfect size. It compliments every picture perfectly.
The desk is simple yet could be very functional in a child's room or even in a craft room. If you are interested in a price please contact me at

Hope your day is wonderful!

21 comments:

AllisonK said...

Still can't tell you how much I adore these!!! Thanks for making my idea an amazing reality. You work magic!

michelle said...

That is the cutest magnet board! What a great idea! You always amaze me with your transformations!! Love the little desk! I wish I had room for it. :( Have a wonderful day!!

Lynn said...

Lovely transformation!!

Blessings,
~Lynn

NanaDiana said...

Melanie-What a great use for a crib! He did a great job!!! Hugs-Diana

Chelsea said...

What a great idea. Very nice shape!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

What a cool idea! Mike is the man...

Jen said...

These are DARLING and so VERY creative!!

Where, oh where do you buy your sheet metal?? I need some for one of my projects, but have NO CLUE where to go for it.

Lindsay @ Diary of a Crafty Lady said...

Melanie,
I am Mike Connelly's daughter - and when he was in town recently, he reminded me that you have a great blog. So, now I am a new follower:) I love this magnet board - and many other things on your blog! Amazing that you have time to do this. It is fun to know someone with a successful, amazing blog:)
Hope you are well, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Lindsay

Cassie Bustamante said...

what a great idea! it looks great, melanie!

Sandra said...

WOW!

I love it!

What a great idea!

I'm going to file that idea away for later when we no longer need the cot!

It would also make a great mirror too!

Janie said...

Melanie,

Great imagination! Very nice transformation...

Sandra, I like your mirror idea too...

kathleen said...

That turned out amazing!!!!!! What a great idea! Boy, I'm creative but that was over the top, outside the box, perfect!

Now, I can't donate anything, can I? I may find a new way to use it!!!!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely fabulous!

Take care,
Lisa

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love how this project turned out. very creative! thanks for linking up.
gail

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

Wildly creative and original way to repurpose sentimentality! Holy smokes! I'm thinking I could do a magnet board with one end and a chalkboard with the other. Fantastic inspiration. Thanks!
~Aimee (visiting from the Crafty Soiree)

cindy said...

I would never have thought about this crib turning into a magnetic board. That is so clever.

Let'sMakeADifference said...

Beautiful! Soooo creative! I'm blog hopping and found your blog. I'm a new follower. Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

Unknown said...

Loved it! What a beautiful piece. It would be good as a chalk bard too. Maybe that is what you can do with the foot of the crib.

Anonymous said...

This is `Beautiful`
I love the old typerwriter:)

Thanks for sharing at the Passionately Artistic Blog!!!
always a plasure

Terrie
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/

kim west said...

featured this awesome thing at my blog today!
www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

Annie said...

So cute! I love it. Found you from Wandering Wednesday and I'm your newest follower.

http://timelessexclusive.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails